Saturday, November 10, 2012

Invitation to the President's House!

Ok, so I wasn't exactly invited to the Presidents house... but we were welcomed to tour it (for a small fee, of course!)! After Grammy and Grampy picked me up at the airport in Nashville we stopped at President Andrew Jackson's house, The Hermitage. I thoroughly enjoyed our tour as we strolled through his garden, peeked into the old slave cabins, explored his mansion, and trekked his grounds! Though he was president before the Civil War and did have some impact on the events that lead up to the war not much about him will be on my test, but it was still a great way to spend the afternoon! The only problem was... I was freezing! I don't know what I was thinking but I hardly brought more than my jean jacket and a sweatshirt... I could have used my winter jacket... and gloves! :) I guess I thought I was going South so it would be warmer, and it is, but just not as warm as I had hoped!

Entrance to The Hermitage

Smoke house

Dish design that President Washington chose

Back of the Hermitage

Slave cabin

Andrew and Rachal Jackson's grave site

"The General's" headstone

The view of the house from the garden 
Family and close friend cemetery in the garden

Inside the slave cabin.  20x20 living quarters!

The house that the Jackson's moved into before The Hermitage was built, they later became slave cabins.

A "sample" field of cotton. 
Up close cotton plant

No comments:

Post a Comment