Sunday, September 16, 2012

Batten Down The Hatches...

...We're in for a storm!



A typhoon is currently working it's way toward South Korea! We will get some sort of excitement as it passes by, but we are unsure of how drastic. I LOVE storms! I love losing power too! It makes me feel so "old-fashioned" because we can't flush toilets or use the lights! Anyway, I trust the Lord to protect us and even if we are not protected, I trust Him!

Most people, I will cautiously assume, do not relate to me in feelings about storms. When it comes down to it... I've really never been in a truly destructive storm (excepting the Ice Storm of 2008 in MA, that was destructive, but in a "gentle" manner), but if I was, I think I would be somewhat frightened.

Though I have never been through a hurricane or tornado (or other fierce whether phenomenon) that threaten the security of my environment, I have been through fierce storms of the soul. Now, I must say, that the "storms" of my life may look like just a little black rain cloud to most, but they are, nevertheless, great challenges to me! God has been teaching me, through His Word, the Bible, how to "batten down the hatches" spiritually during spiritual typhoons.

Here are some parallels, with Scripture, of physical and spiritual storms:

1. Everyone knows, that it is wise to gather emergency supplies in case of a storm. Since we never know exactly when the storm will hit, it is eminent that we be always ready with our flashlights, candles, matches, water, blankets, shovel (if you live where it snows!), and trail mix or granola bars!
Don't wait till the storm hits to be ready spiritually! Seek the Lord now! Before it is too late. Before your life is over, because no one knows how long they have left to live.
Isaiah 55:6-7 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:
Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

2. When the storm is going to be too much to whether at home, escape to the nearest storm shelter! God provides an escape when the storms beat too harshly on my heart and I think I can't take anymore! I have a promise from Him that He will not give me more than I can handle and that He will be my shelter! My life verse speaks to this and another in Psalms:
1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
Psalm 18:10 The name of the Lord is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.

3. After the storm, we must clean up the debris and destruction that is left. This can be a painful experience as one gathers broken and tattered bits of the life they once knew and attempt to put them back together and clear away the rubble, in preparation to rebuild. Even so, the Lord cleans us up and washes us clean and forgives our sins to give us a fresh start. But this is often a painful purging, but once it is done, we come forth as refined gold if we allow Him to work in us! 
Psalm 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.


So, how are you doing today? Is there a storm a' brewin' in your life, or are you in the midst of a typhoon? What will you do now? Will you reject the help and comfort and security the Lord wants to give you and is able to give, or will you submit yourself to Him, confess your sin, and run to Him, The Strong Tower?

1 comment: