Wednesday, September 5, 2012

School Days!

Agape International School


Dust off the old uniform, it's time to get back to school!

Though I don't think their uniforms were actually dusty after the 6 week summer break (yes, that's right, much shorten than the 3 month summer American kids are used to!), but they had to be ready come Monday morning on August 27th! The kids had a great first week of school and are quickly back into the swing of things! They do ACE, which is a program I had never heard of before now, but it works well for them because all the students are at very different levels. Every two weeks or so, the kids complete a pace, which is a workbook for each subject. Structure and self-responsibility are two main themes I am noticing with the ACE system. When a student has a question or needs to correct their homework, they put a pink or blue clip on top of their desk and wait (work on something else) until a teacher gives them permission to score, or helps with their question. I was amazed at how well the students knew the rules and how they all just jumped into what they were supposed to do!

All the students at Agape, somewhat bright-eyed and bushy-tailed on their first day back to school!

Studying Proverbs in chapel

Hard at work! Noah is just sitting up for some fresh air, but he is working hard too!

My little nook! I love it!

Day to Day

At school, I keep quite busy! Here is a list of the things I do while at school:

-Play piano for chapel
-Help monitor the students
-Read
-Record Hymns
-Work on my Social Justices online CollegePlus! course
-Help with Wednesday Adult English Class
-Have English conversation time with Natsuki
-Visit with the 7 amazing Agape students!
-Eat my yummy obento (lunch) that Mrs. Winters prepared!
-Plan and prepare for Musical Fridays*
-Think and pray about what ministries I will be involved in or start when I get home
-Memorize Scripture
-Take walks or bike rides
-Skype my mom outside on my iPod, and make Mr. Wyatt think I am talking to a wall!
-Smile and laugh

*Musical Fridays are my name for the music classes I will be teaching for the next 4 Fridays! The classes will be a combination of studying what the Bible teaches about music, music history, musical elements and appreciation, and singing practice. This Friday will be our first class! I have from 9:00-11:45 to cram all these amazing topics in, so I'm trying to be picky and choose only the most pertinent and useful information for the students and their situation. I'll let you know how the classes go!




No comments:

Post a Comment