Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Sewing Alterations Experiments...

Though I never blogged about it, I had a lot of opportunities to sew in Japan! (Maybe I did blog about that...?) Mrs. Winters helped me and taught me a few new skirt and culotte patterns and tricks and tips to sewing! I'm so thankful to her for this! :) Being able to sew (clothes, household items, quilts, etc) is a life goal of mine, and I am excited to be working toward accomplishing this goal!

I have always greatly admired my Memere who, I believe, posses great crafting skill and expertise! It was she who inspired me (perhaps unwittingly) to "go at" some of my clothes with my seam ripper, scissors, and sewing machine! I had a blast last night altering a skirt, a hooded shirt, and some PJ pants. After I did these, I ran up to my room to see what else I could alter!

Of course... I forgot to take "before and after" pictures... but maybe I'll remember to next time! I took a pleated panel out of the front of the skirt and sewed a straight seam instead (it's hard to explain, but the skirt looked almost like culottes, so I took that piece out, which removed the under pleat, and sewed the two sides together).

The shirt was just way to baggy on me... which is why it has been sitting in my drawer for a few years, untouched. So, I put it on inside out, Mom pinned it where I would sew, then I took it off, drew a line, and sewed both sides to take in the tons of excess material that made me look so frumpy! Viola! Cute shirt that I no longer have to get rid of because it fits!

For the PJ pants... I cut the old waist band off and just made a new elastic casing and stuck a new elastic in it! Someone... please get me a Staples 'easy' button! :)

Blessings!



1 comment: